The general objective of the INEVITABLE project is to improve the performance indicators in the steel and nonferrous metals sectors by retrofitting existing production sites by digitalization technologies and elevating overall digitalization level. Mechanical upgrades of the equipment are not subject of this project. The goals of digitalization are the following:
- Improve energy efficiency and in this way reduce negative impacts to the environment,
- Improve product quality, reduce scrap and in this way improve energy efficiency;
- Improve process repeatability,
- Optimize production processes by providing accurate process models to test the effect of process parameters and setting prior the production process,
- Provide model based soft sensors for estimation of unmeasured process variables to better control the process,
- Provide methods for process diagnostics and condition monitoring. In many cases it is possible to detect process errors before they become critical and cause process interruption.